TeamViewer is one of the most popular remote access software. You may find TeamViewer to be a fantastic program for gaining remote access. However, it is also an easy way for hackers to take advantage of your personal information.
Besides that, this tool has also been used for support scams before. So is TeamViewer safe to use? Granted, hackers can abuse this program, but if used correctly, it’s an incredible way to gain remote access.
Here’s how to make TeamViewer safer, more private, and more secure.
1. Enable two-factor authentication (2FA)
Curious about two-factor authentication? Two-factor authentication in TeamViewer gives accounts an extra layer of protection. This feature allows a verification step of the login ID and password.
When two-factor authentication is enabled, you get a unique code on your smartphone shortly after entering your username and password. This is an invincible barrier against tech support scams and other cyber crimes.
When someone tries to connect to the secure device, you will then receive a push notification on your phone with the device ID and a prompt asking whether you want to let them connect or not.
To set up two-factor authentication, open TeamViewer settings on your desktop, then click Security > Two-factor authentication for logins > Configure. To add a new approval device to approve connections, simply follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Set up a unique strong password
Whether you use TeamViewer or any other service, you should always use a password that contains both upper and lower case letters, special characters and numbers. This simple method can protect your account and prevent hackers from accessing your information.
Follow these steps to update your TeamViewer password:
- Log in to the TeamViewer user management console.
- Open your Profile settings and click on the Security option.
- Now click on the Change password button.
- Enter your current password and a new password.
- Once you are done, confirm the changes by clicking Change password Again.
When entering your new password, you should avoid making common password mistakes that could compromise your account security. Do not use popular or easily guessed passwords such as “123456”, “abc123”, “qwerty”, etc.
Use a password manager to generate and store your passwords, so you don’t have to remember them all. There are many other benefits of password managers that make them essential for everyone.
3. Activate unattended access in TeamViewer
Unattended Access in TeamViewer allows you to remotely access or control your computer at any time without physically being there. This method is more secure than those that rely on passwords due to the presence of a powerful feature: the aforementioned two-factor authentication.
Using two-factor authentication to secure your TeamViewer account greatly reduces the likelihood of a third party gaining access to your devices. However, if the device is not yet associated with your TeamViewer account, you will need to assign it first.
Follow these steps to enable unattended access in TeamViewer:
- Open the TeamViewer console.
- Enable or toggle the Start TeamViewer with Windows and Grant easy access checkboxes.
- Now, on the next screen, click on the Attribute to assign your device to your TeamViewer account.
4. Configure blocking and allowlist
You can easily track who can connect to your devices using TeamViewer using the Allow List and Block List options.
Blocklist, as the name suggests, allows you to block specific partners or devices from connecting to your computer. TeamViewer credentials or accounts on the blocklist will not be able to connect to your computer.
You can, on the other hand, configure your personalized whitelist to allow only specific partners or contacts to connect to your computer. Therefore, even if strangers somehow get your TeamViewer email address and password, they cannot log into your computer.
Here’s how to configure your custom list to allow or block someone in TeamViewer:
- Open the TeamViewer console and click the gear icon or the settings button in the upper right corner.
- Then navigate to Security > Block & Allow List > Configure…
- A new window will open. Select if you want Allow Where Deny access to partners on your list.
- When finished, click the To add button.
- Manually add the partners or contacts in the list and save the changes by clicking on the OKAY button.
Is TeamViewer safe for business use? Yes, provided you follow the security measures described.
To ensure greater security, you can simply connect your company or company profile to your TeamViewer account, and you can also whitelist the full company profile. This is useful if you only want certain people to have remote access to your device.
5. Disable TeamViewer startup with Windows
Usually, the best way to prevent hackers from accessing your computer is to log out of the application. Thus, to avoid any attack via TeamViewer when you are away from your PC, we recommend that you log out of your TeamViewer account.
The same advice applies to all computer programs. Hackers are always on the lookout for this kind of remote access apps so they can use your computer as part of a botnet and launch DDoS attacks.
You should only run the TeamViewer program when you need it. But what if you need TeamViewer always on for your job? In this case, you don’t need to log out, just disable the Start TeamViewer with Windows TeamViewer console option.
To ensure greater security, you can also disable autostart by using one of the many options for disabling startup programs in Windows. This is the best way to prevent someone from accessing your desktop.
If you’re using unattended access, you should keep this feature on because otherwise it might not work as expected.
6. Advanced security options in TeamViewer
You can control TeamViewer’s remote access features in various ways with its advanced security options. This kind of advanced security gives remote access sessions a wide range of minor permissions.
You can set these options to allow, after confirmation, or deny, depending on your needs. But we recommend that you choose the “after confirmation” or “confirm all” tab so that it asks for access permission before transferring files or connecting to a VPN.
Follow these steps to make the recommended changes for enhanced security and a safer TeamViewer experience:
- Open your TeamViewer console and navigate to Settings > Advanced.
- Now click on the Show advanced options button.
- Now uncheck the boxes next to Close tray menu and Clipboard synchronization.
- Toggle the Access control Possibility of Confirm all in the drop-down list.
- Finally, apply the changes by clicking OKAY.
Above all, if you’re wondering how to disable chats in TeamViewer, it’s quite simple. Move towards Settings > Advanced > Advanced Options and switch it Disable chats check box.
Is TeamViewer safe?
Yes, TeamViewer is safe to use, as long as you use it correctly and make it safer. Along with following the mentioned tips, you should also update it regularly to avoid emerging vulnerabilities.
You should also check trusted devices to see if your TeamViewer account has been hacked.