Riot Games has implemented a multi-factor authentication (MFA) feature to secure their accounts across all Riot Games titles. Players can implement this simple extra security step to protect all of their assets and prevent account fraud. Previously, Riot had already created an MFA feature where players had to enter a code using another device. This will only require a code to be entered each time they log into the game. MFA is an electronic security measure that only allows access to a person’s account after completing both forms of authentication presented. It adds another level of security besides username and password, which can be easily hacked or given to other people.
An MFA protects account owners’ private information, such as their email address and payment information, or even their place of residence. Here is a simple set of steps performed by Riot Games’ player support page when activating your MFA:
- Log in to your Riot account page.
- Go to the Login & Security tab.
- Locate the 2-factor authentication card.
- Click it Re-send email button.
- Access the inbox of your connected email address.
- Find and open the MFA email you received from Riot Games (if you don’t see the email in your inbox, check the spam folder.)
- From the email, click the Enable two-factor authentication button.
Riot Games is always developing other alternatives to make MFA more convenient for players. A mobile authenticator would not be impossible due to the simplicity of authentication to be performed on it. Players have invested countless hours in their accounts, so they want to make sure that all their hard work is protected from any threat.
For more information, visit the official website and their announcement on the implementation of multi-factor authentication.